Choice 2: John 14:15–17, 26–27; 15:26–27; 16:7–8, 13–14. The Savior’s Instructions about the Holy Ghost
- As you study the following verses, make a list of what the Savior taught about (1) what the Holy Ghost does and (2) what disciples must do to receive the Holy Ghost:
- John 14:15–17 Comfort, abide with you, witness truth
- John 14:26–27 Comfort, teach all things, bring all things to remembrance, peace
- John 15:26–27 Comfort, witness truth, testify of Christ, witness of Christ
- John 16:7–8 Comfort, reprove the world of sin
- John 16:13–14 witness truth, guide us in truth, show things to come, glorify Christ, and teach.
- Carries a conviction of truth to the heart
- Quickens intellect
- Increases, enlarges, expands natural passions and affections
- Adapts through wisdom
- Inspires, develops, cultivates and matures sympathies, joys, tastes, and affection.
- Inspires virtue, kindness, goodness, tenderness, gentleness and charity.
- Develops beauty of person, form and features
- Tends to health, vigor, animation and social feeling.
- Invigorates all the faculties of the physical and intellectual man
- Strengthens and gives tone to the nerves.
- Marrow to the bone,
- Joy to the heart
- Light to the eyes
- Music to the ears
- Life to the whole being
- Add to your list above as you study the following resources:
- Institute student manual Points to Ponder, “The Holy Ghost Brings Man to His Fullest Potential” (p. 168)
“The gift of the Holy Ghost adapts itself to all these organs or attributes. It quickens all the intellectual faculties, increases, enlarges, expands and purifies all the natural passions and affections; and adapts them, by the gift of wisdom, to their lawful use. It inspires, develops, cultivates and matures all the fine-toned sympathies, joys, tastes, kindred feelings and affections of our nature. It inspires virtue, kindness, goodness, tenderness, gentleness and charity. It develops beauty of person, form and features. It tends to health, vigor, animation and social feeling. It invigorates all the faculties of the physical and intellectual man. It strengthens, and gives tone to the nerves. In short, it is, as it were, marrow to the bone, joy to the heart, light to the eyes, music to the ears, and life to the whole being.
“In the presence of such persons, one feels to enjoy the light of their countenances, as the genial rays of a sunbeam. Their very atmosphere diffuses a thrill, a warm glow of pure gladness and sympathy, to the heart and nerves of others who have kindred feelings, or sympathy of spirit.”
- Institute student manual Points to Ponder, “As a Messenger of the Godhead, the Holy Ghost Teaches Faithful Members” (p. 168)
“The Holy Ghost is a Personage of Spirit, in the likeness of God the Father, in other words a likeness of the Father and the Son. His mission is to instruct and enlighten the minds of those who, through their faithfulness have obeyed the commandments of the Father and the Son. He bears witness of the truth, quickens the minds of those who have made covenant and reveals to them the mysteries of the kingdom of God. He is a special messenger from the Father and the Son and carries out their will. …” (Smith, Answers to Gospel Questions, 5:134.)
- Bible Dictionary, “Holy Ghost” (p. 704)
- Review your list of what the Holy Ghost does. Then write responses to the following tasks:
- Describe how the Holy Ghost helped the Apostles fulfill their missions after the Savior’s death and resurrection.
The Holy Ghost help the Apostles fulfill their missions by strengthening their understanding once the savior left their presence. They were able to discern truth and make decisions based on the promptings of the Holy Ghost.
- Write a paragraph about a time when the Holy Ghost blessed you in one of the ways you listed above. Give an example of how the Holy Ghost has inspired you.
For me one of the most powerful experiences when I have felt the influence of the Holy Ghost is while we were deciding to add to our family. My husband and I both felt, and knew we were to have another child. This daughter would eventually be adopted from China. We were inspired as our thoughts developed toward adoption. Heavenly Father cultivated a love and understanding through friends and good examples. Then the Holy Ghost helped us to experience affection and joy towards our daughter, with the gift of the Holy Ghost, our understanding of family and love was expanded. She has been a great miracle and blessing to us. I cannot imagine what our lives would be like had we not listened to the promptings of the Spirit.