Feed your faith and your fears will starve to death.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Changsha Day 3

Hello everyone!  Happy Birthday to my daughter Kylee who is 17 today ( in China anyway)!  Today is day 3 and little Faith has done so well.  She slept through the night both nights and is following very closely to the schedule we were given.  We are having very cold temperatures for Changsha so our guide decided instead of an outdoor university tour we were going to do an indoor tour.  We went to a museum where they house the oldest archeological discovery in Hunan.  Tombs were unearthed in the seventies and excavated.  Three bodies were found with hundreds of artifacts.  These bodies were a husband a wife and their son. They were very prominent and wealthy.  It is very similar to a Egyptian tomb.   They date back to 186 years before Christ.  SOOOO interesting.  Little Faith fell asleep in the car on the way… so she missed most of it.  We took several pictures I will hopefully get to upload tonight. 

 

Faith had a few meltdowns today…nothing major.  She threw every single thing at lunch at the waitresses and onto the floor.  She also started crying and threw herself on the ground when I told  her she could not have a tea packet.  Luckily she was very easy to pick up and comfort.  Even funnier is after some time had passed she got a stool and went back to the tea and got it herself…then took it to Jeff to open.  She is smart!   Also…we can tell she is getting frustrated with the lack of communication.  Our guide says she speaks very good mandarin for her age and when our guide arrives they have entire conversations. 

 

I had my own sort of meltdown today… huge guilt that I cannot speak her language.  She deserves so much.  I felt very inadequate today when the guide was talking to her and she had so much to say.  She doesn’t even try to communicate with us in speech because she understands we cannot reply.   Faith also sings to herself at night…we asked our guide about it, and together they sang the most darling nursery rhyme.  Faith calmed down immediately when she was able to communicate and enjoy that song with someone who understood.  She so badly wants us to speak her words and know what she wants.  I can see the frustration in her facial expressions. 

 

On a positive note, she knows we are trying and will just laugh out loud at our horrible Chinese words and attempts to sing.  We were able to find and download the nursery rhyme she loves in Chinese and have played it today to her from the computer.   We are still getting lots of loves and we tell her I love you often.  I can’t wait for the moments when she will know what we mean when we say these words.

 

She was also very sick when we received her three days ago.  She has been suffering from tonsillitis for over a year, and she had a terrible cough and green runny nose.  She would speak in a whisper,  we believe because it was so painful to talk.  We started her on antibiotics the first day, and she is so different.  She is happy and loud and singing.  The coughs are fewer and the nose is not running any longer.  It is nice to see her healthy.  She is also eating better… she likes hard boiled eggs and noodles like top ramen.    She also loves rice cakes.

 

Every day we are getting to know our daughter better and are so happy to be  parents to such a beautiful little person.  She is still just darling…even with the meltdowns.

 

One last note…more for my own journaling…I have been suffering with a nasty head cold.  I am hoping it doesn’t turn into something worse…and today Jeff seems to be having the symptoms.  What a bummer we are sick right now.  It makes this just a little bit harder…I must have sneezed 50 times on the tour today, and my nose is cherry red.

 

Also Faith fell asleep at 5 pm today and it’s now 7:30 pm and she is still sleeping.  We are going to have a late night.  She walked about 100 big steps today in the hotel it must have worn her out early.

 

Dawn

 

 

8 comments:

  1. Hi Dawn....So glad to hear Faith is feeling better...I wondered if she was still sick! I understand completely when you talk about Faith speaking Chinese to fluently to the guide...your heart aches to know what she is saying. For us, it really was amazing when we got home, and English was all Lucy heard...that the little Chinese we knew made her feel comfortable and then the English flowed for her. I am sorry you are getting a cold...doesn't help keeping up with Faith and your schedule there....relax during your down time. SO....just got the tea packet for herself huh??? Lucy was fascinated with that little coffee/tea stuff in our hotel room there too, we had to move it up high :) From all the pics Faith looks like she is bigger than Lucy like we thought is that so??? Enjoy the last few days in your daughter's province...

    xoxo
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dawn,
    Gee! I hope you and Jeff begin feeling better soon. As the old saying goes; plenty of rest (when you can?) and plenty of fluids (push fluids). Aspirin for fever, etc. I love you guys. It sounds to me as if you and Jeff are doing all you can under the circumstances to ease Faith's frustrations. Can't wait to have you all home. We all love you all!!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Guys, I'm so sorry you are sick--it's going around here, too of course. Wow, toddlers are the same the world over, aren't they? I just had to giggle since I recognize all the "meltdowns" that I'm still going through, even though my youngest is now 4. Don't worry, Faith is at such a young age that she is going to pick up English very quickly. That is amazing that at 2 1/2 she can speak Mandarin so well, I'm sure she will be a pro at English in no time. Oh, how I wish that I could meet her. She is an absolute doll! :) Hugs, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are in my mind and in my heart; I will keep you all in my prayers. Happy Birthday Kylee! I will call her later today.
    Love to you all,
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time, patience, and love...you have all of this going for you. You will be home soon and I too believe Faith will pick up English very quickly. Hope you are all feeling well soon! We love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our daughter only spoke and understood Chinese at age 2 as well. I know it's frustrating right now because others are able to communicate with her but when we got home and she only heard English, I was amazed at how quickly she picked it up. They are smart little sponages!

    Hope you start feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YEA!!! This is so Great Dawn!! I love the journaling!! I am so sorry you are sick but so glad Faith is getting better!! What a wonderful mommy you are!! Love ya
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY KYLEE!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is gorgeous!!! Many many blessings to you and your family!!!!!
    Kathy T
    Mom to James since 12/28/09

    ReplyDelete