Feed your faith and your fears will starve to death.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Adoption...I wish more people got it :)

The other day I was at the mall shopping with my older daughter Kylee. We ran into a Chinese business owner who was an artist. I want a painting of our family and began a conversation with him. Our adoption came up, and he was immediately judgemental. Words like " You white people think you can just save the world." He even asked my daughter, " You really treat her like she is your sister?" Kylee was shocked by his agressive and nasty behavior. This was the first negative encounter I have had with someone from China. Usually we strike up a conversation and talk about the country, the history, etc. He was so angry. He also said, " Maybe I will just adopt a white baby." I couldn't believe his anger. He just doesn't get it. So for the stranger at the mall, I hope someone emails you this link, maybe your heart will soften, and you will understand the joy. 

4 comments:

  1. Wow Dawn! I am amazed, first by the comments you got, I would have been speechless. How do you respond to such hatred?
    Then the video.... I was in tears. Just puts everything into perspective. What an amazing man and what an amazing mother those boys have.
    Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an absolutely amazing video!!! I too wish everyone could "get it" when it comes to adoption. The person you encountered does not get it and I'm sorry for that...you though have given Faith a home where she is safe and loved beyond measure and will understand that true love goes beyond the color of our skin and what we look like on the outside...keep doing the amazing job you are doing! God found the perfect family for Faith when he placed her in your arms!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If he feels that strongly about white people adopted Chinese children-- how many chinese children in need of a home has he adopted?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny because when I first read the comments about his anger, I was angry too. Angry that he would say something negative about adoption in front of a child. And I had some negative things I wanted to say in return...

    But then I watched the video. And I get it. Because it's more than an adoption story. Just all the love and positive feelings that surrond us... who has time for the negative? For the hatred and anger.

    He had one incredible voice!!

    ReplyDelete