Feed your faith and your fears will starve to death.

Thursday, November 6, 2014

New Testament Studies Week 1

Unit 2 Topic 1 – Matthew 5:1-12. The Beatitudes


1.       Read the footnote for Matthew 5:3a and the institute student manual points to ponder section: The sermon on the mount is our constitution for perfection.”  Pg 61. Write a definition for the word blessed or blessedness.
The latin: beatus is the basis of the English beatitude, meaning to be fortunate, to be happy or to be blessed, to blessings. 

2.       Read Matthew 5:1-12. Identify or mark all of the “blessed” attributes in these verses.  Also, read the definitions President Harold B. Lee gave for each of these attributes found in the institute studentmanual Points to Ponder section pp. 61-62.  From these verses select three beatitudes and write a paragraph for each describing how living this beatitude has in the past or can in the future can increase your happiness.  

Matthew 5:3. “Blessed Are the Poor in Spirit”

Matthew 5:4. “Blessed Are They That Mourn”

Matthew 5:5. “Blessed Are the Meek”

Matthew 5:6. “Blessed Are They Which Do Hunger and Thirst after Righteousness”

Matthew 5:7. “Blessed Are the Merciful”

Matthew 5:8. “Blessed Are the Pure in Heart”




My three Beatitudes

Blessed are the Poor in Spirit ~ I think we all have been poor in spirit on and off in our own lives.  The key is to recognize when we are at that point and reach out in prayer with faith.  Heavenly Father wants to bless us, we just have to be humble and willing to accept his grace and blessings.  I also believe that we are tools in his hands and need to be always watchful in our own circle of influence to bless the lives of others, by service, a listening ear, financially, and through prayer. 

Blessed are the Meek ~ to be “meek” means to be “God-fearing, righteous, humble, teachable, and patient under suffering.  For me these attributes describe a perfect person.  Because the Savior was the only perfect person to walk the earth, all these attributes are a great goal to want and to work towards.  Personally I know in the past that when I am reading my scriptures daily and striving to be closer to my Father in Heaven these attributes are more attainable.  I mostly struggle with being patient under suffering, which I think most people do.  I have had a few examples of friends in my life lose children, and I have witnessed their patience through these difficult trials. 


Blessed are the Merciful ~ For me this is one of the most important of the beatitudes.  Since everyone makes mistakes, we would be wise to take this counsel and forgive quickly.  I know in my own personal experiences holding a grudge is really just carrying around an extra burden.  If we expect mercy from others we also have to give mercy to others.  Part of our mortal experience is to learn this wonderful trait.   

No comments:

Post a Comment