Feed your faith and your fears will starve to death.

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Journal Entry ~ Week 3



This week there were some great insights learned from my studies.  In reading the talk given by Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin called, “Little Things are Important”, I was impressed with his idea that each minute counts.  We all have the same fixed “60 minutes in an hour.”  I find it amazing that with the same amount of time there is such a variety of outcomes.  It always comes back to priorities.  What are the priorities in my own life?  Family and the gospel/Heavenly Father are at the top of my list.  Second would have to be school, and third would have to be my health.  It made me think about my own life, how I spend my time, and what motivates me.   We all have to make tradeoffs.  Instead of managing time, I need to focus more on managing myself so that my time is spent more on my priorities. 

 I also liked the scripture reference D&C 64:33”Wherefore be not weary in well doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work, and out of small things proceedeth that which is great.” 
The second thought I had while reading his talk was in reference to a quote he said, “Do you take the time to remember some of the simple courtesies that are so important in relationships with others? Do you remember the smile, the compliment, the positive comment, and the word of encouragement? We should do these important little things without hesitation.”  This idea coincides with Reid Hoffman’s suggestion in his book, “The Start-up of You.”  He describes how networking has a negative vibe, and the reason is because people are not genuine with each other.  His suggestion is to think about how one can help another, and then do it with no expectation of return.   I like the quote from his book that says, “A friend is not an asset you own; it’s a shared relationship.”  We do not have to over think how to be kind if we take Elder Wirthlin’s advice and remember to be courteous. The details are the thread in our life fabric. 

No comments:

Post a Comment