Feed your faith and your fears will starve to death.

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Journal Entry ~ Week 8



I feel such gratitude for this class and my education.  I have been dealing with someone in my family who is very indecisive and it is causing worry and stress for the rest of the family.  The essay called “A Message to Garcia” held so many useful keys in helping me articulate how I feel about indecisiveness.  The first quote that hit home for me is when Hubbard says, “The ability to execute is more valuable than education or talent, because it is far rarer.”  Being an older student with adult children I have been able to watch and try to teach my own children this concept.  One child, who struggled all through childhood to get the “B” average learned how to work hard and is about to get his master’s degree this year.  Another child, who got “A’s” easily and is just shy of her bachelor’s degree has quit school and working as a landscaper.  This real life example validates Hubbard’s essay and will help me in parenting.    

The second significant thought I had while studying this week is when I read this, “People in their late teens and early twenties often have a misconception about life.  They believe that their greatest challenges will come from unforeseen events and external circumstances. This turns out to be untrue. The greatest challenges always come from within.” Understanding that we are our own worst enemies helps me to dispel my own inner negative chatter and move forward with a positive attitude.  This essay articulated so much wisdom I used it in FHE this week. 

Another insight I gained this week came from a talk President Hinckley gave in 2003 called, “Loyalty.”   Our family mantra is “Nice Matters.”  Because there is so much indifference in the world, many end up being indecisive.  Even church members do not want to take sides on moral issues.  President Hinckley uses these scriptures to teach about this dangerous attitude. 
The book of Revelation declares: “I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
“So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew thee out of my mouth” (Rev. 3:15–16).
“If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself” (John 7:17).
 Being nice is important, but standing for what is right is more important.  I hope that as my children face life’s challenges they will be able to stick to their values and stand up for what they know to be right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment