Feed your faith and your fears will starve to death.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Journal Entry ~Week 10



This week we studied about balance.  The lesson focuses on the balance for entrepreneurs but really the lesson of balance in life can be applies to everyone.  We watched a few videos, one was by FLOODGATE Fund partner Ann Miura-Ko, she shares her view of the importance of having passion for your own company.She says,"Only a great venture will make taking time away from family feel like a worthy trade-off."  The second video talked about having more.  When you make more money you spend more money which equates to more responsibility.  Randy Komisar says that he lost so much free time being a CEO with a large paycheck that he was actually more unhappy than he was being poor.  This goes along with the adage, money can't buy happiness.  Understanding the trade offs that come along with success and power and money will help people to find their balance.  


The other significant lesson I learned came from President Monson's talk called, " Formula for Success"
He teaches that success comes from putting Heavenly Father first, keeping our testimonies strong and seeking truth thus building a strong foundation on correct principles.  He uses the example of a monkey. "I think of the story of the monkey who was in a cage situated on the flight pattern near a large airport. The monkey became terrified initially as a plane would fly overhead, and in his fright he would rattle the bars of his cage. Soon he realized that as he rattled the bars of his cage, the airplane would fly away, and he would be safe. The monkey no doubt felt that the rattling of the bars of the cage caused the airplane, out of fright of him, to pass beyond and leave him alone. Of course the rattling of the bars of the cage had nothing to do with the departure of the airplane, and so it is with some of man’s philosophies. We need to turn to the truth of God.” 


my favorite quote said, "Remember, a testimony is perishable. That which you selfishly keep, you lose; that which you willingly share, you keep."


From the book "So You Want to be an Entrepreneur" I thought about "The Circle of Trust" from the movie Meet the Fockers.  We all have that circle of people in our lives that we let in.  We get to chose who they will be. As I read this week I really resonated with the idea that we need to surround ourselves with likeminded people.  Having friends who I can trust to uplift and mentor are as important as the decision of what business to pursue.   It also says that we should not waste time with those that would try to bring us down or are negative.  I realized that I do have a few people like that in my life and I plan on trying to keep those conversations positive, but will reduce the time I spend with them if necessary.  I also realized that most of my close friends are business owners.  I think that I have naturally gravitated toward them because we have similar dreams and goals.  I also like the idea that we need to set aside time for our loved ones.  Owning a business can take up all one’s time, and I have a few friends that are workaholics/entrepreneurs.  When we do go out with them, I notice the wife is always frustrated that the husband is constantly on his phone doing business.  I can see how this would cause conflict in a marriage.  It is great advice moving forward.    

No comments:

Post a Comment