Feed your faith and your fears will starve to death.

Friday, February 20, 2015

Journal Entry Week 6~



This week what really stood out to me from our reading was a quote from President Gordon B. Hinckley.  It says,” No one has a greater interest in your welfare, in your happiness, in your future than do your mothers and fathers. They are of a prior generation. That is true. But they were once the age that you are now. Your problems are not substantially different from what theirs were. If they occasionally place restrictions on you, it is because they see danger down the road. Listen to them. What they ask you to do may not be to your liking. But you will be much happier if you do it. Your mother is your best friend. Never forget that. She gave you life. She cared for you, nurtured you, nursed you when you were sick, and looked after your every need. Listen to her now. Talk with her candidly and confidentially. You will find that she will keep your confidence and that her wisdom will prove to be wonderful.” 
As I read this quote, my first thought was that it is directed to traditional students, not older students.  As a mother of 5 I would like my children to read and understand this concept.  However, having been a young adult I realize that until they are parents they really don’t comprehend how invested we are in them.  I think the bigger picture here is that our Father in Heaven loves us this deeply, and even more.  Being able to go to him with all our concerns and be able to be candid is what he desires.  This was a great reminder to me of the relationship I want to build with my Father in Heaven. 
Then second lesson that really stuck with me is the concept Kawasaki lectured about when he said entrepreneurs want to change the world, the don’t really seek after the money.  I agree with this philosophy, and think that truly passionate people build on that passion and end up making money.  In America the point of earning money has been so emphasized that we have forgot the purpose of hard work.   This is evident in the report where CEO’s in America make sometimes 400 times the wages of their lowest paid workers.  This speaks to the greed of America, and is really something our country should be ashamed of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment